I like things organized. At least when the creative part of a project is over and the “get ‘er dun” part is taking place.
When I am working on a new quilt I screw around with bits and pieces testing what I see in my imagination and once I am satisfied I flip over the the “Type A” part of me and break it all down to the fast and most efficient way to progress.
So I decided on Saturday night I was far enough into the “Hexie Quilt Project” to fall in love with it completely and thus it was time to devise a plan to bring it to completion. I have a time table in the head…as always. I work best with self imposed deadlines.
This is what the final tally is in regards to pieces needed for the quilt:
Border Flowers : 42
Green Fillers : 80
Inner Pieced Flowers: 95
Odd Ball Flowers shapes : approximately 12-14 flowers total
I counted up what I had done randomly and I was just about halfway there.
I went into full pieced Hexie production on Sunday Morning. And by Sunday late afternoon I had all the pieces cut, stripe sewn in, and ready for English Paper Piecing. The same with the Border Flowers. And the filler Hexies were done. I would leave the “odd balls” to the very last to be able to play with color placement when it came to them.
I took my sketch of the finished quilt and divided it into 8 sections. And not all sections are created equal. Some are much bigger than others. Trust me there is a method to my madness…when I feel a lull encroaching on this project I will put together a small section and viola the motivation to keep moving on.
Now I need to divide all the Hexie Flowers I have done and the cut flowers (but not done) so I can guarantee that fabrics and colors flow nicely across the quilt.
With masking tape, I divided the counter in the back of my studio into 8 sections.
The shuffling of flowers around took less than 10 minutes.
And lo and behold one of the smaller sections (#6) already has all the pieces needed completed…it can be put together immediately if I wished.
I elected to save it for one of the “lull periods” and am tackling section #5. I hope to have a few sections done for you by next week….that is the plan.
p.s. Please note that the last pic is actually only about half the “items” laid out…just realized I forgot to take a final pic…but I think you get the idea.